West Quoddy Head Lighthouse is one of Maine’s most recognized lighthouses and the only candy-striped lighthouse in the U.S. The first tower, wooden, was built in 1808 by order of President Thomas Jefferson. The tower standing and operating today was built in 1857 and became operational in 1858. The park’s visitor center, staffed by local volunteers, features exhibits, special events and local history. The center is wheelchair accessible; handicapped parking is available. The adjacent 532-acre Quoddy Head State Park features 4.5 miles of hiking trails through forests and two bogs.