Long Point lighthouse was established as a fog station in 1929. The present lighthouse was constructed in 1966 upgrading the fog station to a light station. Now destaffed, it is located on the southern side of White Head Island, a small island off Grand Manan Island, accessible by a free car ferry from Ingalls Head (Grand Manan), there are about 140 people living full time. James Audubon visited White Head in 1833 to paint the herring gull and other birds. A beautiful sand beach lies to the east of the lighthouse, Sandy Cove.