CulturePass is your window into the artistic and cultural richness of the greater international Passamaquoddy region including Cobscook and Passamaquoddy Bays and the St. Croix River.
- This event has passed.
Your Leonardo: an art show by Eastport’s Italian artist Vittoria Chierici
October 31, 2022 @ 11:00 am - November 30, 2022 @ 3:00 pm UTC-5
The Commons Eastport is pleased to present:
“Your Leonardo” — An art show by Eastport’s Italian artist Vittoria Chierici.
Vittoria came to Eastport for the first time three years ago and immediately fell in love with the light and colors of the area — water, sky, sunrise, sunset, moonrise, forest.
This year, her plans were changed when COVID 19 overtook her beloved Milan, and she was unable to return home. She came to believe that the safest thing for her was to stay in Eastport. She has continued to work on her “Leonardo Project” during these past six months. Now, we all can share in what Vittoria has been working on. This is actually a Debut of her “Your Leonardo” project and collection of paintings.
Vittoria invites you look in a totally new way at Leonardo Da Vinci, the artist we know as the painter of the Mona Lisa — and so much more.
What did Leonardo look like? We have portraits of him as an adult, but how did he look when he was a young man?
Vittoria Chierici has studied Leonardo with other international experts and has now painted a series of portraits that show what Leonardo might have looked like when he was young.
Here is how you can be involved in this Virtual Art Show called “Your Leonardo” — please read this first for greatest enjoyment:
- When you go to Vittoria Chierici’s website shown below, you will see an explanation of a two year Leonardo Project that has been part of a worldwide celebration honoring the 500th Anniversary of Leonardo’s death (May 2, 1519).
- This material is written in Italian. When you select the Italian paragraph, go to Google Translate, and paste in the paragraph, here is the translation:
What is Your Leonardo? There is a different nuance of Leonardo in each of us. My project on Leonardo is not a portrait but the search for a character, a nuance, a look, a color of personality. The traits are individual, intercepted methodically, of the young Da Vinci but even more individual – and in common with him – is the interpretation of life with that curiosity of the artist, the scientist, the free spirit. She is not a man, she is not a woman as in the androgynous artistic research of the Leonardo school. And you, why don’t you adopt Your Leonardo, the one you recognize yourself in?
- Now, enjoy viewing the Young Leonardos on Vittoria’s website by first touching the Historic Leonardo drawing — that will reveal 16 of Chierici’s Young Leonardo paintings.
- When you place your cursor on a Young Leonardo, that portrait will enlarge, and also show a very small number in the lower left corner.
- Enjoy the show! When you have made a decision of “Your Leonardo” — “Vote” by sending the number of your selection to:
Vittoria Chierici <email@example.com>. Please feel welcome to share a message about your visit to the site with Vittoria.
- There will be a prize given to some voter selected randomly from all voters — awarded by the artist.
Actual Paintings will be on view at 49 Water Street, Eastport Maine, from August 1 to August 31.
Votes can be made there when the show is open.
The artist will be present at #49 at certain times in August to talk about her work — under the distancing/masking guidelines.
Check at The Commons #51 Water Street, or see information on the #49 Water Street door for viewing times.
It is in the thick of calamity that one gets hardened to the truth
– in other words, to silence. (Albert Camus)